Saturday, January 19, 2019

Transition update

Renovations to the apartment in Salemtowne are on schedule; all kitchen appliances are being replaced with stainless steel, new washer/dryer, quartz countertops, new paint, new flooring, new doors and hardware, crown molding, new bath fixtures, etc. Most of the old stuff looked new, but it's all being replaced.

I've visited, measured, photographed, and graphed about every inch of the apartment to see what would fit where, how it would function, how it would look, etc.

My sisters and I have done a lot of furniture shopping. My current furniture is still like new but since I'm transitioning into another phase of life, I decided to get new furniture. My final choice Kincaid's Foundry style for the bedroom set and the living room entertainment console, end table, and cocktail table and The Nook style for the dining table and chairs. The sleeper sofa and recliner are from Lazy Boy. My den will be my office so I choose a large Magellan Performance L-shape desk and bookcase from Office Depot. I'm donating my Wavemaster punching bag and other exercise equipment to Salemtowne; that way everyone will get to use the equipment (including me) and it won't be taking up space in the apartment. I'll store my bicycle on the balcony using a bike cover.

I set up a temporary photography area and photographed all my martial arts trophies and plaques, and then trashed them. I went through hundreds of 35mm slides and photos, kept the ones with people I knew, and trashed all the ones of places. Big Ben looks the same today as it did 40 years ago so I can just use the internet for memories. I went through every closet, cabinet, drawer, and box and donated or trashed everything I didn't need or haven't used in years. I've still got the furniture, tools, and lawn equipment to deal with.

My dog Fuji is starting to look worried about being next but he's a keeper.


No comments:

Post a Comment